Pages

Sunday 17 February 2013

Films that have made me cry

  • The Grapes of Wrath Hank Fonda's "I'll be all around in the dark....I'll be everywhere" speech.
  • To Kill A Mockingbird Just the opening titles/music have made me tear up, by the final scene with Boo Radley (Robert Duvall), I am a blubbering idiot.
  • Silent Running I think this is brought on when Bruce Dern refers to Huey/Dewey "tending the forest"
  • last 10 minutes of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, not the Director's Cut.
  • They Might Be Giants - final scene, a little gem about a deranged "Sherlock" and his female doctor in New York. Sound familiar?  No, not Elementary, this was made in 1971.  Read my later post about this little wonder.
  • Cider House Rules The final time you hear the classic line, "Good night, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England". There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.
  • South Pacific (final scene when kids run in)
  • E.T.  .... I think I am good now.
  • Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I have blubbered with an in-flight showing, lucky it was dark. I blame the Alan Menken music ... it's a cartoon for God's sake!
  • Seeing a live show (yes, I know I've gone off topic) is even worst - Sunday in the Park With George (scene at end of Act 1), Les Miserables (you can probably guess which scenes)
  • Television: I get a lump in the throat listening to Vanessa Redgrave's concluding comments at the end of each beautifully written Call the Midwife episode. How could you not tear up?

I'll probably think of more later ... but I'll publish now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. Spam and links will be deleted by administrator.