- Director Coky Giedroyc directed the excellent BBC mini series "What Remains" (2013)
- Billie Piper's realistic consumptive cough
- Beautifully underplayed scene between The Creature (Rory Kinnear) and Maude in his "Phantom of the Opera"-inspired under the theatre digs. Kinnear's plaintive, anguished humming was a nice touch.
- The original "Varney the Vampire" penny dreadful gets a mention from Van Helsing.
- The line from Dorian Gray about him preferring paintings to photography.
- The nifty attack of the white-haired harpy/vampires in the ship's hold (shapely Morlocks?)
- Dorian Gray's vast candlelit portrait room
- The rough sex scene between Vanessa and Dorian (a dagger as a sex toy?)
Monday, 16 June 2014
"Penny Dreadful" Season 1, Episode 6, "What death can join together", Showtime/Sky, review
Great things about Episode 6: