- Federation Square (Fed Square) grab a deck chair and people watch, free wifi.
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) lower level galleries including "Screen Worlds" (within Fed Square). Also Shaun Tan exhibition until mid Jan 2014. Allow at least 90 minutes.
- Ian Potter Gallery Australian art. Allow 1 hour, also in Fed Square.
- Yarra River walk from Fed Square, cross the Princes Bridge and walk downstream along Southbank. Allow 1 hour return.
- Free exhibitions in the Art Centre, St Kilda Road, 3 minutes walk from Princes Bridge - currently Geoffrey Rush exhibition (until Oct 27).
- Arcades and alleyways (get a map from very helpful Tourist Information booth in Bourke Street Mall)
- State Library galleries and dome/reading room (world class) Corner Swanston and Lonsdale Streets
- Walk up Collins Street to Spring Street, one of the most elegant streetcapes in Southern Hemisphere.
- At top of Spring Street is the historic Treasury Building, exhibitions, explore underground gold vaults.
- Parks and gardens - Treasury Gardens, lead on to Fitzroy Gardens; Royal Botanical Gardens on other side of the Yarra. Allow 2 hours for Botanical Gardens (walking from Fed Square).
Monday, 30 September 2013
10 free things to do in Melbourne (CBD)
Most of these are non-touristy, things 'locals' do.