Lighten up critics, it wasn't that bad. If it was a double episode of "Penny Dreadful", it would have been applauded.
Don't get me wrong, John Logan's series is wonderful. But I digress... here's the highlights.
- Imaginative art direction. I am a sucker for steampunk. I will admit to enjoying "Van Helsing" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (two other so called bombs).
- Casting: James McAvoy has fun in the title role. Daniel Radcliffe is always exceptional. Charles Dance as Frankenstein Senior. Also Andrew Scott and Mark Gatiss from "Sherlock".
- Some terrific throwaway lines: "It's pronounced Fronkenstein" (thanks Mel Brooks), "They will only remember the monster, not you" (says Frankenstein's beau).
- Scottish composer Craig Armstrong's score (amazing credits: "Ray", "Love Actually", "The Quiet American", Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet" and "Moulin Rouge!")
- That extended monkey scene in the medical college. Truly disturbing.